Veggie lasagne with aubergine & pesto
Our veggie lasagne swaps traditional lasagne sheets for nutritious baked aubergine slices, a layer of rich cannellini bean ragu and basil pesto for a flavour-packed gluten-free Italian favourite.
- 150g carrot
- 1 aubergine
- 1 red onion
- 200g passata
- 20g pine nuts
- 240g cannellini beans (drained)
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Mr Organic vegan basil pesto
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tsp dried Italian herbs
- 40g rocket
- Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6.
- Finely dice the onion and carrot. To make the aubergine lasagne layers, thinly slice the aubergine lengthways (at least 6 slices).
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a medium-sized pan and fry the onion for 3 mins, then add the carrot for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile, place the aubergine slices on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp oil and a pinch of sea salt. Place in the oven for 10-15 mins, turning halfway through.
- Drain the cannellini beans and add to the pan with the onion and carrot. Add the passata, dried herbs and 1/3 of the balsamic vinegar. Season and simmer for 10 mins. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- When the aubergine is cooked, construct each individual lasagne by placing a piece of aubergine on the plate as the base, a generous spoonful of the bean sauce and a thin layer of basil pesto and repeat. Top each lasagne with another layer of aubergine. Serve alongside the rocket, sprinkle with the pine nuts and drizzle over the remaining balsamic vinegar.