Traditional Cantonese Recipe
Bring you this Cantonese dish that is wholly veggie-friendly and extremely accessible.
- Extra firm tofu
- Half packet Quorn roasted sliced fillets
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Star anise (optional)
- 1 white or red onion
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- Handful tenderstem broccoli, asparagus, carrots, baby corn and sugar snap peas
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- Marinade your tofu and Quorn roasted sliced fillets in soy sauce and sugar for at least 30 minutes.
- Wash and prepare your rice. To do this, simply run tap water over your rice grains and swirl it around with your hands to get rid of some of the starch. You may need to do this two or three times. Then, drain and cook the rice. Two parts water to one part rice. (2 cups rice = 4 cups water.)
- Directly in the stone pot, add your tomatoes, red wine, rosemary and star anise. Also, add a pinch of salt, pepper and sugar.
- Pop it on the hob and heat through on a medium-high heat.
- When you’re happy with the consistency, add the marinated tofu and a cup of water, plus your sliced onions. I tend to cut my onions into wedges to absorb the flavour a little better.
- Cover the pot and keep on the hob on a medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Add vegetables of your choice. I’ve listed what I use above.
- Cover the pot and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Serve with a bowl of rice.