Chickpea and Spinach Stew
Beans for breakfast during the winter or summer; it is a great way to start your day with a quick, simple, protein and fiber rich breakfast. This recipe is inspired by Ful Mudammas, Neevik, Lablabi or a favorite beans on toast, it is completely versatile so feel free to substitute and legume, lentil, veggies or greens you have on hand.
- Olive oil
- 1/2 red onion - thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ginger - chopped
- 2 clove garlic - chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 can chickpeas
- 2 tsp cumin
- pinch chili flake (optional)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 c water
- Large handful of spinach
- Dash of lemon juice
- Salt & pepper to taste
- To start, sweat onion over medium heat for 6 minutes.
- Add garlic and ginger, sweat for 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, chickpeas and paprika.
- The bring to boil, then lower to a medium heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Lastly, add spinach, lemon juice and season to taste. Serve straight away.
Serving options: Pita / crusty bread / rice / quinoa Garnish: Cilantro / sesame seeds / toasted almonds / avocado / lemon or lime wedge