Baked Apples with Miso Butterscotch and Almond Crumble
Salted caramel, miso and butterscotch is a match made in heaven.
- 1/2 Tablespoon Tideford Organics Fresh White Miso
- 70g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120ml single soya cream
- 70g vegan spread
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 4 apples
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g oats
- 20g light brown sugar
- 40g vegan spread
- 20g toasted, flaked almonds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas 4. In a flameproof dish*, combine the white miso, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, soya cream, vegan spread and mirin. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, approx 3-4 mins.
- Remove the core from the apples. If you don’t have a corer, use a knife or narrow peeler. Cut each apple in half.
- Put the apple halves into the butterscotch sauce, cut side down. Cover it with tinfoil. Transfer the pan to the oven for approx 20-25 mins, or until the apples are easily pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Combine the almond crumble ingredients in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the vegan spread until combined and crumbly.*
- Spread the almond crumble onto the greaseproof. Bake for 10-12 mins, until golden brown.
- When cooked, set the crumble aside and allow it to cool slightly. When cool, break up any large chunks.
- Divide the apples between four plates. Drizzle over the butterscotch sauce and crumble. Top with flaked almonds and ice cream if desired.
- If you don’t have a flameproof dish that’s also suitable for the oven, prepare the sauce in a saucepan before transferring it to an ovenproof dish.
- It’s best to use vegan spread which is fridge cold. Initially the mixture wont resemble fine breadcrumbs but don’t worry, you can crumble it up when it’s baked.