Aubergine Vegetarian Parmesan
Enjoy a crispy aubergine bake for dinner.
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- 40g vegetarian parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 30g all-purpose flour
- 1 medium Aubergine, cut in 2.5cm slices
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 170g shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 175°C. Lightly coat a baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- Place bread, veggie parmesan, oregano, thyme, garlic, salt, and pepper into a food processor. Blitz for 20 seconds. Transfer mixture to a small mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Place flour in a separate bowl.
- Coat each aubergine slice in flour, removing any excess, then in egg wash, and finally in bread mixture.
- Place coated eggplant in baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking process.
- Spread 1 jar marinara on bottom of an 20cm x 20cm baking dish. Arrange half the aubergine slices on top of sauce, then top aubergine with 85g mozzarella. Repeat with remaining sauce, aubergine, and mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.